Friday, July 17, 2009

James Gunn - Canon EOS Magazine

A CAITHNESS photographer has received award recognition for his work – a little over a year after starting up his own part-time photography business.

The latest edition of Canon's EOS Magazine carries a full-page feature of Halkirk-based James Gunn's work – including action shots taken at last year's UK All Star Wrestling event held in Wick Assembly Rooms.

The keen snapper has also won himself three gold awards in the Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers' monthly contest.

Striking images of Eden Court Theatre in Inverness and an artistic portrait of Dunnet beach have proved popular with judges. The photos have appeared in Professional ImageMaker magazine and will qualify for the finals of the SWPP UK Photographer of the Year competition, due to be held in London in January.

James told the John O'Groat Journal: "I sent a selection of photos to the EOS Magazine after my photos got rave reviews from the wrestling organisers, who had kindly given me unrestricted access around the ring.

"I'm particularly chuffed as it was my first ever attempt at taking indoor action photos.

"I was even more pleased when I learned that I will receive a £100 voucher for Jessops, the camera shop."

In recent months the photographer's study of a neighbour's Highland cow has featured in the popular PhotoPlus magazine, while the winter edition of the Scottish Rugby Union's TEAMtalk newsletter carried an action shot of a Caithness Rugby Club player on its front page.

James is a member of Thurso Camera Club – which meets twice a month from September to April – and puts his success down to what he has learned since he joined three years ago.

He added: "I tend to concentrate on sport action photos and so my success in other subjects has come as a bit of a surprise."

1 comment:

Dave B said...

"James is a member of Thurso Camera Club – which meets twice a month from September to April – and puts his success down to what he has learned since he joined three years ago."

That is encouraging. Perhaps I should start going to the once-a-month Kingsclere Photography Club :-)