Monday, March 14, 2011

Ansel Adams The American Wilderness

At Peebles' Charity Book Sale on Saturday I picked up a mint first edition of this beautiful coffee table book for £10. I'm not a great Ansel Adams fan as I prefer my landscapes to have some human interaction, such as rock climbers halway up El Capitan or Half Dome, rather than just be pretty pictures.
This is probably why my first Yosemite book was Galen Rowell's "The Vertical World of Yosemite." Also John Cleare's "Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia" from the 1960s takes some beating for gritty black and whites.
In modern large format photography of British mountains Gordon Stainforth's series are as good as Adams with the benefit of comprehensive shooting notes.
For something a bit more basic W A Poucher's Guides, mostly shot on early Leica's are quite inspiring.

No comments: