Thursday, June 16, 2011

Weisshorn View



The view East at Sunrise one day in August 1989 from halfway up the Grand Gendarme on the North Ridge of the Weisshorn, Swiss Alps. It's a bit magenta but I've not fiddled with it in Photoshop.
Taken on Kodak Gold 200 film, using a Zeiss Ikonta 6 x 6 cm camera, with a 75mm/4.5 Anstigmat lens. Unfiltered. I'd only owned the camera about six weeks and the picture has some flare from the uncoated lens.
It is ideal for mountaineering as it is light-weight with the lens folding into the body and shoots medium format negatives.
I'd hate to take a modern Hasselblad digital up the North Ridge of the Weisshorn - the battery would probably fail!! Apart from the weight................oh and £8,000, the Zeiss cost £80.00 and you can still get them for about the same money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, and thank you for sharing your lovely shot.
I used to have a Sinar F2 back in the days when clients would pay to run it.
I had to get rid of the uncoated lenses precisely because of the flair, although I think it actually works on your image.

It reminds me that I must look at my negs in the big trunk at the foot of my bed someday!

Christian

http://www.schwetzstudios.co.uk